The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins – Book Review
The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins has one of the easiest, yet most effective rules to create change in your life. This book will show you how the simple technique of counting back from 5 can create the change you have been hoping for. YES… that’s it! But it works!
*This article contains affiliate links*
The rule is simple enough. Count 5-4-3-2-1 and take an immediate action whenever you need to make an important decision. Why 5 seconds? Because as Mel points out, your mind will begin working against you after about 5 seconds. You’ve been there right?
- When you know you should speak up at the staff meeting and you don’t because you start to worry that you’ll be judged for your idea. Your mind tells you, “oh that’s a dumb idea. No one will ever take you seriously.”
- Instead of giving your mind a chance to talk you out of it, 5-4-3-2-1 raise your hand and speak up.
- When You know you should walk away from the cookies but give in to your cravings. Your mind tells you, “oh it’s just one cookie. You can burn it off later.”
- Instead you, 5-4-3-2-1, then reach for the grapes.
- The alarm goes off in the morning and even though you know you should get up and hit the gym you hit the snooze button. Your mind tells you, “hit the snooze button, you need some rest. You’ll start Monday.”
- Instead of giving your mind a chance to talk you out of it, 5-4-3-2-1 get your ass out of bed.
In The 5 Second Rule, Mel Robbins does a much better job at explaining how this effective rule works. I was skeptical at first but my wife and I use it daily to do things that we know we must do. Mel gives real examples from real people on how they use this rule to transform their lives.
Mel Robbins doesn’t BS you either. Yes it’s a simple rule but she is the first one to tell you that it is not easy. Simple does not mean easy. It takes an enormous amount of energy to get started doing anything and that is why taking action within 5 seconds is the key. Otherwise your mind will do everything it can to prevent you from taking the necessary action. Your mind is programmed to make things easy for you and to keep things as comfortable as possible. It’s human nature. We all know, however, that you will get nowhere if you don’t get out of your comfort zone.
I highly recommend this book. It is a quick read and your life will change for the better.
Click the button below to pick up this book and add it to your toolkit.